Follow us!

    Re: Medical Malpractise

    Posted by Curmudgeon on 8/05/05

    No one here can answer your question. All you can do is to
    consult with an attorney in your area who is experienced in
    medical malpractice. He/she--and his/her own consultants--
    can review the entire medical record and compare that to the
    relevant standards of care in the community.

    On 8/05/05, Rick wrote:
    > Approximately May 30th, 2005 my mother went to the
    > emergency room in Lorain, oh because her stomach was very
    > swollen, sore and she couldnít pass stool for a number of
    > days. While in the emergency room, she started developing
    > chest pains. The hospital decided to admit her that
    > evening. She was in a regular hospital room for about a
    > day and a half. I spoke to her doctor and the nurses and
    > expressed concerns that her stomach was swollen and I
    > wanted them to look at it. They said they werenít worried
    > about her stomach at that point, that they wanted to
    > figure out what was going on with her chest. I asked them
    > on the phone from Memphis, TN if it is possible that her
    > stomach can be related to the chest problem, and they said
    > no.
    > The next day I called and a nurse told me my mother had
    > been moved to ICU. The nurse would not tell me anything. I
    > called ICU and they told me to call back in an hour or so.
    > I explained to them that was my mother and I am in TN. The
    > nurse then handed my mother the phone and she could barely
    > talk. No one else talked to me.
    > Finally I called her doctor again and she told me my
    > motherís oxygen saturation went down to 30&37;, so they
    > her in ICU. I asked what could the problem be and he
    > didnít know. Again I asked if they looked at her stomach
    > and she said no. I then told her that my mother drinks
    > alcohol and smokes cigarettes. I also told her that I am
    > the oldest and would be the one who would give consent for
    > any procedures.
    > I called the nursing station later that evening and asked
    > what was going on. This time the nurse said my mother had
    > pneumonia. I asked again if they were looking at her
    > stomach and again they said no.
    > I decided to go to Lorain and see my mother on
    > approximately the 6th of June. I saw my motherís stomach
    > was very, very swollen. My mother was complaining that her
    > stomach was very painful and she expressed that no one
    > looked at it yet. The hospital had her on a CPAC, forced
    > oxygen, to keep her oxygen saturation up. I asked them
    > what was wrong with her stomach, they said they didnít
    > know. I asked about her lungs and this time I was told
    > they didnít know what was wrong with them as well. I was
    > told they are not working well. I asked if they would get
    > better and I was told they didnít know. I was not getting
    > any answers. The nurses told me my mother was very
    > combative and was trying to take the oxygen mask off, so
    > they kept her heavily sedated and tied her hands down to
    > her side. They also told me she was hallucinating. They
    > told me she was going through alcohol with drawls and this
    > causes that. I told them that yes, my mother likes to
    > drink. but when she came out here to TN to see us, she
    > didnít drink here and never hallucinated. I told the
    > doctor that she is on medication and since she hasnít
    > taken this medicine for some time, that may be what is
    > causing the hallucinations.
    > On approximately June 8th, a surgeon called me and asked
    > if I can come to the hospital. I went and he told me they
    > have to perform surgery urgently. They said they have to
    > find out what is going on with my mother inside her
    > stomach and they were going to do this the very next
    > morning. I asked about the risk and he said it is very
    > risky, that she may not come out of it alive. I asked how
    > she would breath during this and he said they would put
    > her on a ventilator.
    > The next day I came to the hospital to see her before the
    > surgery. I spoke to the Lung doctor about her lungs and he
    > still didnít know what was going on. They took my mother
    > down and performed the surgery. After the surgery the
    > surgeon told us that she had Diverticulitis and he had to
    > remove about a foot and a half of intestine. He said they
    > gave her a bag. I asked if it could be reversed and he
    > said if she lives.
    > After the surgery, she still had the ventilator on and
    > they kept my mother so drugged up that she didnít even
    > know we were there.
    > I went home for the weekend and came back around the 12th
    > of June. She was still knocked out from the heavy
    > sedatives they gave her. Later that week, I happened to
    > walk in while a doctor was seeing her. I told the doctor
    > who I was and he told me he was the infectious disease
    > control doctor. I asked him what happened and he told me
    > that my mother has diverticulitis and her intestines
    > ruptured. This caused her to contract sepsis which
    > attacked her lungs. I asked him why the hospital made my
    > mother sit in the hospital for 8 days before they looked
    > at her stomach. He couldnít answer that.
    > After talking to the doctor, I went to the hospital
    > administration. I talked to the chief nurse and told her
    > that I am not getting any answers as to what is going on
    > with my mother. I told her that one person says she has
    > pneumonia, and another says they donít know. I told her
    > what the Infectious Disease control doctor told me and I
    > expressed concerns for my motherís well being there.
    > I went back home to TN and waited to see what happened.
    > My mother ended up coming out of it. She was transferred
    > to a rehab center to help her walk again and show her how
    > to take care of the bag.
    > I am looking for some advice as to what I can do about
    > this. My mother sat in the hospital for 8 days with a
    > swollen stomach before they looked at it. Then it turned
    > out that her stomach was a direct relationship to her lung
    > problems. If they would of looked at her stomach first,
    > they would of found the problem and maybe she wouldnít of
    > been so bad off. Maybe she wouldnít of needed the bag.
    > Now when she goes to her appointments, they all tell her
    > how close to death she was, but no one will tell her for
    > sure what happened. One doctor told her that she had no
    > classic signs of diverticulitis. What is a swollen stomach
    > and not passing anything for 7 days mean?
    > This took a lot out of me. The worrying about my mother.
    > The constant calling 3 times a day to the nursing station
    > only to hear she has not gotten any better and no, we did
    > not check her stomach yet. I had to drive to Lorain twice
    > and leave my family here. I saw my mother the sickest and
    > closest to death ever. And I feel it could have been
    > prevented if they would of looked at her stomach.
    > Do we have a case?

    Posts on this thread, including this one
  • Medical Malpractise, 8/05/05, by Rick.
  • Re: Medical Malpractise, 8/05/05, by Curmudgeon.
  • Re: Medical Malpractise, 8/18/05, by teresa.

  Site Map:  Home Chatboards Legal Jobs Classified Ads Search Contacts Advertise
  © 1996 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Please review our Terms of Use, Mission Statement, and Privacy Policy.