Follow us!

    Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD

    Posted by Taxboy on 4/21/09

    A tidbit, the "lifetime learning credit" may be used for many education expenses, check it out, I'm not a
    cpa, just a tax law enthusiast.


    On 4/21/09, head in the sand wrote:
    > """There are specific rules and many, many cases that deal with law school expenses and the taxpayer always
    > loses."""
    >
    >
    > Do you have any facts to back up your point of view?
    >
    > and no "my husband is a CPA means nothing"... Geithner is the Treasury sec. and facts are facts...
    >
    > If I am a paralegal and my company pays for me to gain more legal knowledge, your telling me they can't
    > write that off? If you are please include a fact to back it up.
    >
    >
    > On 4/21/09, Linda wrote:
    >> What you wrote was section 162, the GENERAL rule. There are specific rules and many, many cases that
    >> deal with law school expenses and the taxpayer always loses. When pressed, even NWCU admitted that the
    >> reference to 162 was misleading. But if you want to put your head in the sand, be my guest.
    >>
    >> On 4/21/09, whatever wrote:
    >>>
    >>> (a) General rule. Expenditures made by an individual for education (including research undertaken as
    >>> part of his educational program) which are not expenditures of a type described in paragraph (b) (2) or
    >>> (3) of this section are deductible as ordinary and necessary business expenses (even though the
    >>> education may lead to a degree) if the educationó
    >>>
    >>> (1) Maintains or improves skills required by the individual in his employment or other trade or
    >> business, or
    >>>
    >>> (2) Meets the express requirements of the individual's employer, or the requirements of applicable law
    >>> or regulations, imposed as a condition to the retention by the individual of an established employment
    >>> relationship, status, or rate of compensation.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> On 4/20/09, Linda wrote:
    >>>> My husband is a CPA who has researched this forward and backward. He even contacted NWCU last year
    >>>> and they admitted the information was in error said they would correct the website. Apparently they
    >>>> haven't.
    >>>>
    >>>> On 4/20/09, Victoria Weaver wrote:
    >>>>> Are you a CPA or a tax preparer?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Victoria Weaver
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 4/19/09, Linda wrote:
    >>>>>> Please, don't trust me on the tax issue. (I only have 15 years of experience in taxes.) Do the
    >>>>>> research yourself. No deduction is ever possible under section 162.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> On 4/19/09, Victoria Weaver wrote:
    >>>>>>> I don't know if that is necessary false. I applied for a tax deduction for my studies at West
    >>>>>>> Coast School of Law, who is in the same accreditation boat as NWCU Law. Anyone who is not a
    >>>>>>> lawyer can use this as training for a new job. Not everyone is a patent agent.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Victoria Weaver
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> On 4/19/09, Li nda wrote:
    >>>>>>>> It still bothers me that they keep the incorrect income tax deduction information on their
    >>>>>>>> website. If they get something as simple as this wrong, can we have confidence in their
    >>>>>>>> other legal conclusions?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> On 4/19/09, Victoria Weaver wrote:
    >>>>>>>>> Depends on what you are comparing it against. I think it is, considering that many DL law
    >>>>>>>>> students get what they put in to online education. What you get at a school like Concord
    >>>>>>>> is
    >>>>>>>>> bells and whistles. Concord always brags that students who get a B+ average in thier
    >>>>>>>>> program pass the bar with flying colors (like 80&37; of the time, I think). If a student
    >>>>>>>>> actually does the studying at NWCU Law, then yes, they will pass.
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> They have been around a lot longer, and one year they even beat some ABA schools on the
    >>>>>>>> bar
    >>>>>>>>> exam (in terms of percentage passing rate).
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> Victoria Weaver
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>> On 4/18/09, Karen wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>> According to the State Bar stats, for the past two years less than one in four of NWCU
    >>>>>>>>>> graduates have passed the bar on the first attempt. Is this considered pretty good?
    >>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> On 4/17/09, Victoria Weaver wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>> What do you base that on? Certainly not baby bar or bar passage rate. If you were to
    >>>>>>>>>>> base it on those, you would have to concede that Concord or Oakbrook are at the top of
    >>>>>>>>>>> the curve, but you pay through the nose at Concord and Oakbrook requires an in-
    >>>>>>>>>>> residence requirement. NWCU has pretty good baby bar and bar passage rates, and is
    >>>>>>>>>> half
    >>>>>>>>>>> the price of a lot of the other schools. I chose to transfer to NWCU because of the
    >>>>>>>>>>> good pass rates, the price, and the fact it has been around for a long time.
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> ALU has high tuition and the bar pass rates are less than stellar. If you were to
    >>>>>>>>>>> actually give some reasons, then perhaps we might consider agreeing with you. I am not
    >>>>>>>>>>> one who advocates DETC accreditation, but that is actually another thing against ALU
    >>>>>>>>>>> (because Taft and Concord have that designation).
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> Victoria Weaver
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>> On 4/17/09, Mel wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>> The only good school is Abraham Lincoln University School of Law.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/16/09, Li nda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> A good example of what I was writing follows:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> Question
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> I have read the general rule of no deduction for law school, but I haven't read
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> anything for my particular situation. I am a registered patent agent with the
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). My point is that there is
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> nothing a patent attorney can do with the USPTO with patents that I cannot do as a
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> patent agent. I have written patents since 2005, I became a registered patent
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> agent in 2008, and am now in law school for one reason: increase my earnings
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> potential.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> When I am finished with law school I am going to be in the same industry and trade
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> I was before law school. I realize that law school could generally "qualify me
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> for a new trade or business" but at the same time, law school is not qualifying me
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> anymore than I am already to work with the USPTO. The USPTO doesn't really care
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> if I am an agent or an attorney. Both can have clients, both can write the patent
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> applications, both can file the patent apps with the USPTO, and both can prosecute
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> the patent apps through several office actions until the application is dropped or
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> published as a patent.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> So in your opinion, do I have a shot at a legitimate deduction?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> Answer:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for your question.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> No, you cannot deduct your law school costs. It does qualify you for a new trade
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> or business whether you ever pursue that or not. The IRS has ruled specifically
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> in such situations.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hope this helps.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> John Stancil, CPA
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/16/09, Li nda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> First, please excuse the typos. Some, but not all are because the Board
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> apparently won't allow some words. I have no reason why but on average one in
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> three of my posts go through.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> I wasnít referring to Section 162. But since you brought it up, law school
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> expenses are never deductible under 162 because it qualifies a person for a new
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> profession. There are dozens if not hundreds of cases in this area and the
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> taxpayer always loses. Donít trust me, research it. Or ask NWCU to give you
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> some cases. I did and they couldnít.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The tax credits are only available to students enrolled in schools that are
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> accredited, as defined by the Department of Education. You can view the Taf t
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> website for more specific details.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> As I wrote earlier, I don't think the NWCU is a bad option for some. But they,
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> and you, need to get some facts straight.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The fact that they continue to give incorrect tax info is worrisome.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/16/09, Res Ipsa Loco wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NWCU is accredited in the sense that it is "registered" with the CBE. (LOL)It is
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not "accredited" in the sense which you are speaking, but it does not matter.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> (Except if you want an accredited degree)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Do you now (spelled correctly) see my point. The tuition can still be deducted
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> for tax purposes--here is the info from the website:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tax Deduction
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A tax deduction may be allowed for expenses undertaken to: Maintain or improve
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> skills required in one's employment, trade or business, or Meet specific
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> requirements of an employer or a law imposed as a condition to retention of
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> employment, job status or rate of compensation. (See Treasury Regulation 1.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> 162-
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5.) (My tax man is H & R Boock)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Do your research, and learn how to spell. I understand that an occasional
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> stray
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> key may be hit, but you are incorrectly spelling way too many words in a
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> single
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sentence. It is irritating.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Res Ipsa Loco
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/16/09, Li nda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tree but NWCU is NOT accredited. Do you know see my point.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/15/09, Res Ipsa Loco wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tax credits can be used from any accredited school. There are no strong
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> points in your argument. NWCU Law is the best around in terms of quality
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and price.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Res Ipsa Loco
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/15/09, L inda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I stand corrected with respect to con cord. But T aft is not three
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> times and factoring in tax credits the difference is not all that much
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/14/09, GET NEW INFORMATION wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/13/09, Linda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Based on information I received from all three school, the bar pass
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rate over the past five years is lower at NWCU than the other two
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> accredited schools. And according to the websites, the tuition is
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not three times as much.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Linda
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NWCU is 2850 a year for starters, Concord is 9k+, so I your right....
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> it
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> is more than 3 x's as much and as far as bar passage rates again you
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> are
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wrong especially w/ regard to the FYLSE... go to calbar.org
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/12/09, Linda wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You could do worst than Northwestern but I suggest that you also
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> check out the other schools, particularly COn cord and Taf t.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Both offer Federal student aid.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 4/11/09, questions wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I am considering Northwest California Law School for a
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> distance learning Law degree. I can not move at this
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> time, I can not quit my job, I have a family who needs me
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> home. I live in Maine and I am about 6 hours from the law
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> school. Has anyone gone/going to NWCULAW? I understand it
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> is unaccredited with the ABA and I understand all I must
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> do to pass the bar and practice law later. Any help would
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> be great thanks so much.

    Posts on this thread, including this one
  • Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/11/09, by questions.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/11/09, by Maryanne.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/12/09, by questions.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/12/09, by Linda.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/13/09, by prezcott.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/13/09, by Linda.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/14/09, by GET NEW INFORMATION .
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/15/09, by L inda.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/15/09, by Res Ipsa Loco.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/16/09, by Li nda.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/16/09, by Res Ipsa Loco.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/16/09, by Li nda.
  • Re: Distance law school Northwest California NWCULAW, 4/16/09, by Li nda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/17/09, by Mel.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/17/09, by Victoria Weaver.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/18/09, by Karen.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/19/09, by Victoria Weaver.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/19/09, by Li nda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/19/09, by Victoria Weaver.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/19/09, by Linda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/20/09, by Victoria Weaver.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/20/09, by Linda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/20/09, by Go pay more....
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/20/09, by Mel.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by ....
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by whatever.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by Linda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by head in the sand.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by Taxboy.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by Linda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by Laurence.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by Linda.
  • Re: NWCULAW IS NO GOOD, 4/21/09, by wanna be CPA.


  Site Map:  Home Chatboards Legal Jobs Classified Ads Search Contacts Advertise
  © 1996 - 2013. All Rights Reserved. Please review our Terms of Use, Mission Statement, and Privacy Policy.